Storm prop Tui Kamikamica no show in Brisbane court for assault
NRL player Tui Kamikamica did not appear at a Brisbane court on Monday for the first mention of an assault charge related to an alleged incident involving a woman outside a Brisbane hotel.
The 27-year-old Melbourne Storm prop was given an appearance notice last year following the alleged incident outside an Ann Street business in Fortitude Valley on November 13.
Police allege that a 30-year-old woman was involved in the alleged incident and that she was not known to Mr. Kamikamica.
The Storm player did not appear in Brisbane’s arrest court as required on Monday, but his Melbourne-based lawyer Bernie Balmer called the court to represent him.
Mr Balmer said his client, who was dismissed from his post by the NRL after being indicted, will plead not guilty to the sole count of assault causing bodily harm.
âAs the NRL has withdrawn, there is a certain urgency in this regard. I spoke to a lawyer in Queensland about this, we would like to get a hearing as soon as possible, âhe said.
Magistrate Andrew Moloney prepared an arrest warrant for Mr. Kamikamica on Monday, as he did not appear in court as required by the summons.
However, the warrant will remain on hold until the next court hearing. If Mr. Kamikamica does not appear in person at the next mention, the arrest warrant will be activated.
The case was referred to Brisbane Magistrates’ Court on February 9.